Friday, January 23, 2009

girls in the media

Today’s conversation really got me thinking about girls in the media. I refuse to think that a white male started this awful trend and everyone is following and accepting it. Obviously not everyone views women as objects rather than subjects. It makes me question how different America views women compared to the rest of the world. In India, Russia, and China do they consider their women as objects and mere bimbos? I refuse to think so. I think values have shifted a great amount over the years. Although women have more opportunities than ever before I do not think that we are using our abilities to their full potential. Changing the stereotype is hard to do after falling deep in to stereotypes for several years. Women are reaching out to everything including doctors, large corporations, to even attempting for president. There is a change in the world but media is slow to adapt. We are not finding these powerful leaders on TV or the radio. But it makes me question our society as a whole. Would we really watch unattractive women work hard on reality TV? One might hope so but I doubt it. We have a need for unrealistic perfection on television. This need is driving America to one of the biggest problems.

No comments: